Thursday, May 17, 2007

A-Z CDs - Day 9

72. The Black Keys - Magic Potion (last listen: 0-3 months) - Keys
73. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Take Them On, On Your Own (last listen: 2-5 years)
74. Black Sabbath - Paranoid (last listen: 0-3 months) - Probably the best CD left behind by the guy who went to Dubai. "War Pigs" is my favorite Black Sabbath song. In addition to that song, the title song, and "Iron Man," the whole CD is solid. "Electric Funeral" and "Jack the Stripper/Fairies Wear Boots" are two of my favorites.
75. Black Sabbath - Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath (last listen: 2-5 years) - This is actually the only Black Sabbath non-greatest hits album I've ever bought. I find it slightly darker than Paranoid. Aside from the cover art, which is more or less evil, it contains songs such as "Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath" and "Killing Yourself to Live." "A National Acrobat" is probably my second-favorite Black Sabbath song.
76. Black Sabbath - Sabotage (last listen: never) - Not as dark, but contains cowbell. You can definitely hear how hair bands were influenced by this album.
77. Black Sabbath - Greatest Hits (last listen: 1-2 years) - This is a great starter album for someone looking to get into Black Sabbath. I bought it in high school, having only really heard "Paranoid" and "Iron Man." Once again, the cover art is great, with an adorable little apocalyptic (perhaps post-bubonic-plague) scene. When I first heard it, I was surprised to find out how melodic and soft (relatively speaking) some of the songs were (i.e., "Changes," "Tomorrow's Dream," "Laguna Sunrise"). Thanks to this album, when I was a junior in high school I transcribed the lyrics to "War Pigs" and told my mom I wrote a poem. She hesitantly explained, "Wow, that's really dark. It's good. But dark." After that I had to go away for a few months.
78. Blind Faith - Blind Faith (last listen: 0-3 months)
79. Blue Öyster Cult - On Flame with Rock and Roll (last listen: 2-5 years) - Of course "Don't Fear the Reaper" has achieved cult status because of the "more cowbell" sketch on SNL, but "Burnin' For You" and "Godzilla" are pretty good too. My only complaint is that at the beginning of their otherwise decent cover of The MC5's "Kick Out the Jams," they implore "brothers and sisters" to "kick out the jams," instead of the "motherfuckers" who were prodded to do so in the original, but then again BOC has always been PC.
80. Bon Jovi - Slippery When Wet (last listen: 0-3 months)
81. Bon Jovi - Cross Road (last listen: 1-2 years)

No comments: