Tuesday, May 27, 2008

New Book - Sleeping With the Devil

I finished Steve Martin's autobiography, Born Standing Up. It was a quick read, and I would highly recommend it, especially for anyone who wants to know what life is like for a stand-up comedian. The book focuses on Martin's early years up to when he quit doing stand-up in the early '80s. As expected, he is a great writer and, obviously, he's funny. From reading the book, you can tell he is a pretty humble guy who was almost awestruck at his own success.

Going in the opposite direction, I started reading Sleeping with the Devil: How Washington Sold Our Soul for Saudi Crude by Robert Baer. Baer is a former CIA agent, and this book along with his memoir See No Evil were apparently the basis for the film Syriana (which I haven't seen). It's definitely not the type of book that I usually read, but it should be pretty interesting. As with Born Standing Up, thanks to Australian Andrew for recommending it and letting me borrow it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i wish we had a little more of that saudi crude right now.

Anonymous said...

This book will do nothing but piss you off...good read though.