Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Tuesday Top Ten: Best "Fuck Me" Songs

After the blinding success of last week's Top Ten "Fuck You" Songs, it seemed more than fitting to follow that up with the ten best "fuck me" songs. These are songs that are all about self-deprecation or wallowing in self-pity (as opposed to general sadness). Unsurprisingly, grunge is a repeat customer on this list.

10. "Dumb" by Nirvana.
This song is an anthem for anyone who has at any moment in time thought that they were dumb. I could have also gone with "I Hate Myself and I Want to Die," by that song is more about making children look like deer than it is about self-wallowing.

9. "I Hate My Fucking Life" by Marc Pinansky.
While this one is not as well-known (Pinansky is the lead singer of Township and former lead singer of Runner & The Thermodynamics), it's four minutes about hating one's fucking life, as the title implies. It also appears to be a bit of a political protest song. Either way, the chorus is something anyone who has gone through a quarterlife crisis can relate to. (This was not on Playlist.com, although it is available on his MySpace page.)

8. "She Hates Me" by Puddle of Mudd.
I've always like this song, maybe because every guy can relate.

7. "Self Esteem" by The Offspring.
A song about a sucker who just can't get his shit together, on account of the low self-esteem.

6. "Offend in Every Way" by The White Stripes.
This is probably my favorite White Stripes song. It's about a guy who can't seem to walk into a room without offending someone, kind of like Christoff. And I've always enjoyed this line: "I'm coming through the door / but they're expecting more / of an interesting man."

5. "Loser" by Beck.
On Beck's breakthrough single, he yells, "Soy un perdador." I think that sums it up right there.

4. "Sunday Morning Coming Down" by Johnny Cash.
Even though this is originally a Kris Kristofferson song, Cash's version is awesome. Basically, the song is about being alone on a Sunday morning and being hung over and getting hammered and wishing, Lord, that you were stoned. It's a pretty accurate portrayal of every one of my Sundays.

3. "Tears of a Clown" by The Miracles.
Smokey Robinson is one of the great songwriters of all-time, and "Tears of a Clown" is, in my opinion, only behind "Tracks of My Tears" on the list of his best songs. The song has such an upbeat melody, and it's just so damn catchy, that you seem to forget that it's about a man who is hiding the fact that he's miserable ("If there's a smile on my face, it's only there trying to fool the public"). If there's one thing Smokey Robinson did well, it's juxtaposing upbeat melodies with sad lyrics.

2. "My Own Worst Enemy" by Lit.
This is one of my favorite songs of the '90s, and with good reason. I spent most of the '90s with my car in the front yard, sleeping with my clothes on.

1. "I'm a Loser" by The Beatles.
One of the first great introspective songs that John Lennon wrote, "I'm a Loser" (off of 1964's Beatles For Sale) is the classic self-deprecation anthem. (Of course, there are no Beatles songs on Playlist.com)

Just missing the cut: "Birdman Kicked My Ass" by Wesley Willis


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

No comments: