Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Retro Video of the Week: "Break Stuff" by Limp Bizkit

What were you doing 20 years ago today?  Chances are, if you're between the ages of 32 and 47, you were either at Woodstock 99 or watching it on MTV.  

From the extreme heat to the price gouging inside the festival grounds to the lack of drinking water to the unusable and overflowing port-a-potties to the mud pits created by burst pipes to the violence to the vandalism to the sexual assaults to the bonfires, it was truly an unmitigated disaster.

For me, the "forever" memory of Woodstock 99 will always be watching people go absolutely ape shit during Limp Bizkit's performance of "Break Stuff," breaking off giant panels of plywood from somewhere and crowd-surfing them.  There are a lot of concerts and festivals where I think, Man, I wish I had been there.  Woodstock 99 is not one of those.  I am grateful I was wherever the hell I was between July 23 and July 25, 1999 that was not Rome, New York.

Here's the regular video for "Break Stuff" and the video of Limp Bizkit's performance of the song at Woodstock 99.

No comments: