Tuesday, May 17, 2022

CoronaVinyl Day 420 (C): Chevy Chase by Chevy Chase

For an explanation of CoronaVinyl, click here.

Today's CoronaVinyl category is "C."  Did you know that Chevy Chase released an album of music in 1980?  I sure didn't, and neither do most of us, I would assume -- and with good reason.  It's fitting that this album is on Day 420 of CoronaVinyl because you'd have to be completely stoned to think this is any good.

First, let me say this.  I love Chevy Chase.  He's one of my favorite actors, and I think he's one of the funniest people of all-time.  His comedic timing is as impeccable as can be.  Coming off his successful stint as one of the original SNL cast members and a burgeoning movie career, including his starring role in Caddyshack, also released in 1980, I suppose it's not difficult to see why Arista Records gave Chase a record deal.  Hopefully it was only a one-album deal.

Chase actually has some musical ability.  He reportedly has perfect pitch, and he was the drummer in a precursor to Steely Dan that he described as a "bad jazz band."  I've always appreciated his description, since I hate Steely Dan and their pretentious brand of shitty jazz rock more than any other musical artist or band.  

Anyway, whatever musical talent Chase had doesn't shine through on this album.  It's an amalgamation of parody covers of various songs, like a butchering of "The Star-Spangled Banner," Randy Newman's "Short People," Bob Marley's "I Shot the Sheriff," The Beatles' "Let It Be" (which is sung in a Chipmunk-like high-pitched voice), and The Troggs' "Wild Thing."  There's also a take on Sugarhill Gang's "Rapper's Delight" called "Rappers' Plight," a song about dealing drugs that I assume was intended to be funny.  It is not.  I imagine the entire session was a blizzard.

It was difficult to pick a favorite song on each side, since they're all pretty bad.  Thankfully no one appears to have known about this album, and it didn't hurt his acting career.

Unsurprisingly, the album is not on Spotify, but I found a website that had the entire album embedded if you too want to engulf yourself in the rabid splendor of Chase's musical genius.

Favorite Song on Side 1:  "Never Never Gonna Sing For You"
This is pretty clearly a parody of Barry White, but it's not as annoying as some of the other songs.

Favorite Song on Side 2:  "Love To Have My Baby"
This is a disco song with Chase kind of acting out a woman having a baby in the background.

No comments: