Wednesday, August 14, 2024

Retro Video of the Week: "Longview" by Green Day

I realize I owe you fine folks a Lollapalooza Tuesday Top Ten, and I intend to make a good faith effort to provide that to you next week.  But I have been too damn busy with concert going over the last week and a half.  Four days of Lolla the weekend before last, two Metallica shows at Soldier Field this past weekend, and it was topped off by Green Day, Smashing Pumpkins, Rancid, and The Linda Lindas last night at Wrigley Field.

Setting aside that it was an awesome lineup, I didn't realize until last night that Green Day was honoring the 30th anniversary of Dookie and the 20th anniversary of American Idiot by playing both albums in their entirety, along with a couple other hits thrown in.  The show was predictably great.  Green Day never disappoints live.

Anywho, in honor of last night's show, this week's Retro Video of the Week is Green Day's first single off of Dookie, "Longview."  Like many others, this was the first Green Day song I ever heard, and it's a good introduction to the band -- quirky, catchy, and punky, all at the same time.

No comments: