Thursday, October 10, 2024

Rocktober First Tracks Song #8: "Everyday I Love You Less and Less" by Kaiser Chiefs

Today's selection in this year's Rocktober look at first tracks from debut albums is from Leeds-based rockers Kaiser Chiefs.  They released their debut album Employment in 2005, and it was a huge success in their native UK, reaching #2 on the UK album chart and #4 on the UK year-end album chart for 2005, selling over 2 million copies in the UK, and helping the band win Brit Awards in 2006 for Best British Group, British Live Act, and British Rock Act.

The album is a fantastic indie rock/post-punk collection of songs that is very clearly influenced by '70s punk and new wave.  It wasn't a hit by any means in the U.S., so I'm not sure how I heard about it (maybe a Rolling Stone review), but I got the album shortly after it came out, and I loved it.  They played at Lollapalooza in 2005 -- less than a month before I created this here blog -- and I remember lead singer Ricky Wilson climbing a trellis on the side of the stage at some point during their set and thinking that was not a great idea.  He made it up and down unscathed, which is good because that meant the band would continue to make music (they put out their eighth studio album, the aptly titled Kaiser Chief's Easy Eighth Album, in March of this year).

Employment spawned three Top 10 hits on the UK pop charts and another single that barely missed:  "Oh My God" (#6), "I Predict a Riot" (#9), "Everyday I Love You Less and Less" (#10), and "Modern Way" (#11).  While it was the third single released from the album, "Everyday I Love You Less and Less" is the first track off the album.  It's a danceable art-punk anti-love song about dealing with the aftermath of a breakup when one side wants to hold onto the relationship, while the other side just wants to move on.

No comments: