Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Tuesday Top Ten: Chicago Corner Bars


A couple weeks ago, Metromix posted a list of their staff's favorite corner bars in Chicago.  One of the best things about Chicago is the "corner bar."  Unlike many cities, the bars in Chicago are not limited to the main drags or busy streets.  In every neighborhood, there are bars tucked away off the beaten path, right next to houses.  I assume it's because there are a lot of Irish people here.  Whatever the reason, it's great because you always have your local haunt down the street.  Some are dives, some are surprisingly expensive, and most are somewhere in between.  As someone who hates clubs, listening to shitty music while I'm drinking, douchebags (even if I have apparently been to many of the "douchiest" bars in Chicago), and wearing clothes that make me look nice, the corner bar is particularly appealing.

Here is their list.  If I've been there, I will let you know.

1.  Side Street Saloon, 1456 W. George St.

2.  Maria's Packaged Goods & Community Bar, 960 W. 31st St.
I think I've been to this place in its previous incarnation, before a Sox game.  It was fine, if I recall, although I don't think a sazerac was an option when I went.

3.  Inner Town Pub, 1935 W. Thomas St.
The only time I went to this one was when I was already pretty drunk.  I do recall enjoying it, especially since a buddy of mine was literally passed out at the bar.  Until five minutes ago, I had no idea what the bar's name was.  Luckily, the internet has pictures.

4.  Jack & Ginger's, 2048 W. Armitage Ave.

5.  Green Eye Lounge, 2403 W. Homer St.

6.  Hungry Brain, 2319 W. Belmont Ave.

7.  Cody's Public House, 1658 W. Barry Ave.
Cody's is one of those bars (like Rocks, below) where you have to be going there to know where it is.  It's not on a main street, so it's not a place you stumble upon when you're out and about.  Like many corner bars, it's got a warm, welcome, woody feel to it.

8.  The Local Option, 1102 W. Webster Ave.
Local Option is pretty close to DePaul, but it's thankfully the antithesis of a DePaul bar.  It has a great craft and import beer selection and surprisingly good Cajun food.  I love all kinds of beer, and I usually order some crazy shit when I'm in there (rather than a standard Bud Light or whatever).  However, I know a few people who have said that they have ordered regular beers and kind of gotten mocking looks from the staff.

9.  T's Restaurant and Bar, 5025 N. Clark St.

10.  Rocks Lincoln Park, 1301 W. Schubert Ave.
Rocks is my favorite bar.  They have great food, a great beer selection, and a great whiskey selection.  It's kid-friendly (up until a certain point in the night, obviously).  The staff is always nice.  Basically, it's a perfect neighborhood bar.  The blurb in the article was a little off, since I don't think the crowd is as "biz" as the article makes it out to be.  When I was in there Saturday night, I congratulated George for Rocks being mentioned in the list.  He said it was awesome, except for the fact that the blurb is copied and pasted from a 2006 review, so it mentions several things that are no longer on the menu, and Rocks now has 10 TVs instead of 6.

11.  Carol's Pub, 4659 N. Clark St.
This place is an institution.  When you walk through the door, you leave Chicago and enter a scene from Urban Cowboy.  It's a country bar with a house band, and they have live band country karaoke some nights.  It's also a late night bar, which makes it even that much more entertaining.

Here are a couple more corner bars I would have added to the list (in no particular order).  I stuck to bars that are actually on street corners:
1.  The Burwood Tap, Burling & Wrightwood
This used to be my favorite bar in Chicago.  If you want to know why, click here.

2.  Wellington's, Wellington & Lakewood
This is just a solid, normal neighborhood bar.

3.  Old Town Ale House, North & Wieland
This is another Chicago institution.  It's across the street from Second City, so it's always full of students or actors and writers after shows.  There are hundreds of erotic paintings on the wall, courtesy of the owner's husband, featuring mostly Second City alumni and fallen politicians.  It's cash-only, and it's open late night.

4.  Map Room, Armitage & Hoyne
The Map Room has a great beer selection, but be warned:  do not dress nicely or order Miller Lite.

5.  Lottie's, Cortland & Winchester
This is a good, less hipster alternative to the other Wicker Park and Bucktown bars.  They have a good beer selection.

6.  Roscoe Village Pub, Roscoe & Leavitt
The Anonymous Wife of Alex used to bartend part-time at the RVP.  It was a great time.  There was impromptu karaoke, Sloppy Hookers, and the dispensing of Malort shots to unknowing victims.

Anyone else have any favorites?

1 comment:

Bob Terwilliger said...

Sully's offers terrific $2 beers, pop-a-shot, and is walking distance.