Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Tuesday Top Ten: Things You Didn't Know About Electric Ladyland

Fifty years ago today, the Jimi Hendrix Experience released its third and final studio album, Electric Ladyland.  Other than Are You Experienced? and Axis: Bold As Love, it's my favorite album by the band.  It's a happy coincidence that the 50th anniversary of the album falls during a Rocktober in which I am celebrating the '60s.  It's another happy coincidence that it's a Tuesday, I hadn't written a Tuesday Top Ten, and I came across a Rolling Stone article entitled "Jimi Hendrix's 'Electric Ladyland': 10 Things You Didn't Know."  While I generally find article titles like that to be offensive -- I mean, what the fuck do you know about what I know about Electric Ladyland? -- it's an interesting article, especially for any Hendrix fans.  

Side note:  I named our half bath on our first floor Electric Ladyland.  That way, whenever someone new to the house says he or she has to take a shit or a piss or something, I sing, in an underwhelming falsetto, "Have you ever been? (Have you ever been) / To Electric Ladyland?" as I hold my hand up, palm open, gesturing in the direction of the bathroom, all the while staring them in the eyes suggestively.  Most people are squares, so they don't get it, to which I respond, in falsetto, "I wanna show you," and then I just walk them to Electric Ladyland.  "Plunger's on the left, air freshener's on the right," I say.  As they close the door -- and they always close the door -- I sing "Make love make love make love make love."  Everyone should have a positive bathroom experience.  Get it, "experience"?

No comments: