Thursday, May 15, 2014

New Book: Running With Scissors by Augusten Burroughs

I finished reading Any Questions?: The Complete Art Brut 2003-2013 by Eddie Argos a few weeks ago.  As I mentioned, it is a crowd-funded book by Art Brut lead singer and songwriter Eddie Argos, and the book is a complete volume of Art Brut's lyrics, with commentary from Argos. As expected, it was a pretty quick read.  I found it to be interesting, but then again, I am familiar with Art Brut, so it was nice to find out what the songs were about.

I have since started reading Running With Scissors by Augusten Burroughs, a memoir about Burroughs's insane childhood, in which, after his parents divorced, his mom essentially sent him to live with her psychiatrist and the psychiatrist's odd family.  Apparently, it was made into a movie in 2006 with a pretty decent cast, but I don't think I ever heard of the movie before seeing the "Now a Major Motion Picture" seal on the cover of the book.  I have read a couple of Burroughs's other books -- Dry, a memoir about his struggles with alcoholism in adulthood, and Possible Side Effects, a collection of autobiographical essays.  He's a good writer, and funny, although there are parts of Running With Scissors thus far that are pretty disturbing.  After finishing the book, I'd be interested to see the movie to find out what the left in and what they left out.

Books read in 2014:
Bruce by Peter Ames Carlin
Any Questions?: The Complete Art Brut 2003-2013 by Eddie Argos

No comments: