Wednesday, March 08, 2017

Retro Video of the Week: "Where the Streets Have No Name" by U2

Tomorrow marks the 30th anniversary of U2's release of the album that vaulted them from pretty successful to U2 -- The Joshua Tree.  Given that it's also St. Patrick's Day observed this Saturday and then the real deal next Friday, it is even more appropriate to feature an Irish band on Retro Video of the Week.

The Joshua Tree is widely recognized as one of the best albums of the '80s, and as U2's seminal album.  It is certified Diamond by the RIAA and has sold over 25 million copies worldwide.  It hit #1 on the album charts in various countries, including the US and UK, and it spawned three Top 40 hits on the Billboard Hot 100, including two #1s -- "With or Without You" and "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For," the latter of which is grammatically incorrect.  I have never been a huge U2.  I like them, but was never into them like a lot of people.  That doesn't mean I underestimate their influence and popularity, or that I don't enjoy their music.

I decided to go with the third Top 40 hit off of the album, "Where the Streets Have No Name" (which hit #13), because I like it better than the two #1s, and I think the video is cooler.  The band pulled an homage to the Beatles on top of Apple Studios, performing the song on an LA rooftop on short notice, shutting down traffic in the area.  The police eventually shut the performance down, and all of this is seen in the video.  All in all, a pretty cool slice of art meets reality.

No comments: