Tuesday, August 19, 2008

I'm a Boy and I'm a Man

It appears that some college presidents aren't as dumb as Myles Brand. Presidents from 100 colleges are calling for a lowering of the drinking age from 21 to 18. I say, it's about damn time. I have supported this measure for quite some time now, most notably during the time between my 18th and 21st birthdays. In all seriousness, there is no reason why, in this day and age, the minimum drinking age is 21 when most countries are lower than that. In my view, lowering the drinking age will take some of the taboo out of drinking. If you are exposed to it at a younger age and you get more time to accustom yourself to it (both from a social standpoint and a tolerance standpoint), you're not going to go as bat shit nuts when you get to college. Granted, there will be casualties, but that is what Darwin might call "the weak-ass shit I've been tryin' to tell you guys about this whole damn time." And of course, there is the age-old problem of a person being able to die for his (or her) country and elect a President, but not being able to order a beer. That hurts. But with a lower drinking age, problem solved. Bottom line: 18-21 year olds do it anyway. Instead of keeping covert bottles of vodka at the bottom of your dirty laundry basket, now you can keep them where they belong: on your desk next to your computer and the picture of mom and dad. When there is greater access, there is less likelihood of an 18-21 year old drinking like it's the last time he will ever have the chance to drink because, hey, you never know the next time you're going to be able to get your hands on a bottle of SoCo. Now, you can always get SoCo. Thus, you won't feel the need to take 20 shots of it in your dorm room to impress some chick who will just hook up with your roommate while you're passed out and puking on yourself. No, no, my friends. Now, you can be smooth and sip on it. "Hey baby, I got a bottle of SoCo. Don't worry, if need be, we can always get more, but to be honest, I'm just enjoying drinking it out of this Pizza Express cup with no ice. . . . Come again? . . . Yes, that is a Jim Morrison blacklight poster. . . . What's that? . . . Why yes, I would like to make love to you six times tonight on my lofted bed while my roommate lies awake less than five feet away."

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That just reminded me of a funny story from freshman year when I was drinking SoCo in my dorm room and this girl ended up puking on my floor and passing out. Two problems. #1 she was naked. #2 she puked up rice all over the floor. I went and got Grimace and we are standing over her trying to figure out if she was dead while she lay there butt ass naked in a pool of white rice and soco. OH THE SMELL!

Anonymous said...

areola?

Anonymous said...

I believe it was brother vince g who once said in the cold dorm, "i want to make you come first."

Anonymous said...

reading this blog makes me moist.

Anonymous said...

Reading all these comments makes me moist, especially the part about the rice/SoCo puke.

Anonymous said...

Did you guys give each other blumpkins in the fraternity house?

Raymond & Kellie said...

Everytime I take a sip of Dr. Pepper I still taste SoCo. For 18 years I enjoyed that delicious beverage (Dr. Pepper). It only took a bottle of SoCo, a 4 hour IU tailgate, and one tall girl named Katherine that I was trying to impress, to ruin the soft drink forever.

Wee Wee's story is much better. I can just see "Snackwell" standing over a passed out naked girl in horror.