Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Retro Video of the Week: "Juicy" by Notorious B.I.G.

This Saturday will mark the 20th anniversary of the release of Notorious B.I.G.'s debut album, Ready to Die.  Admittedly, I was always a bigger fan of West Coast rap, although I have never been willing to die for that stance.  That said, Notorious B.I.G. seemed a little different (i.e., better) than many of the other East Coast rappers at the time, so I didn't disregard him as I might have done with, say, Onyx.

Produced by Puff Daddy, Ready to Die is now considered one of hip hops greatest albums, as evidenced by its place on various "best hip hop albums of all-time" lists, as well as many other "best of" lists, including best albums of the '90s and best albums of all-time.  The album turned Notorious B.I.G. from an ex-con former drug dealer into a superstar.

"Juicy" was the first single released off the album, and it topped out at #27 on the Billboard Hot 100.  Like many of his songs, it's autobiographical and contains some dope rhymes, as the kids like to say.  On top of that, the song has landed on various "best of' lists, including #1 on VH1's 40 Greatest Hip Hop Songs of the '90s list.  And if you didn't know that, now you know that.

No comments: