Thursday, August 27, 2015

New Book: Thin Lizzy: The Boys Are Back in Town by Scott Gorham and Harry Doherty

A few weeks ago I finished reading Doctor Sleep by Stephen King, which is the sequel to The Shining, released in 2013.  I purposely read The Shining right before reading Doctor Sleep because I couldn't remember the differences between the book and the movie.  I am definitely glad I did that because there were a lot of references in Doctor Sleep to little things in The Shining that I definitely wouldn't have picked up on had I not read The Shining again.  Doctor Sleep is about a grown-up Danny Torrance, who deals with "the shining" by attempting to block it out with booze and drugs.  He eventually moves to a small town in New Hampshire and goes into AA.  A girl in a nearby town with powers similar to Dan's contacts him through "the shining," and they form a bond.  They discover that there is a traveling troupe of supernatural beings that kills and feeds on people with the shining, so they band together to fight said beings.  That's all I'm going to tell you.  It was a good book, and I would definitely recommend it if you are a fan of The Shining.

A few days ago would have been Thin Lizzy frontman Phil Lynott's 66th birthday, and that kind of prompted me to start reading Thin Lizzy: The Boys Are Back in Town by Scott Gorham and Harry Doherty, a biography of Thin Lizzy penned by their longtime guitarist Scott Gorham and music journalist Harry Doherty (who was close with the band).  I had been holding off on reading it because it is rather large (about 10x8 inches), so I figured it would be cumbersome to read on the train.  It is, but I realized that if I didn't read it on the train to and from work (which is pretty much the only time I read books), I wouldn't ever read it.  The book is good thus far, and has a lot of photos, so that's cool.

No comments: