Wednesday, August 09, 2017

Retro Video of the Week: "Vacation" by The Go-Go's

I have spent most of the last six days at Lolla or traveling, so I haven't had any time for a Tuesday Top Ten.  That means you will have to wait until next Tuesday for my Lolla recap.  Let the anticipation build.

In the meantime, this Friday marks the 35th anniversary of the release of the second studio album by new wavers The Go-Go's.  Vacation didn't top the Billboard album charts like its predecessor did, but it still hit #8, so it's hardly a sophomore slump.  Despite their grammatically incorrect name, I have always enjoyed The Go-Go's.  Their music is catchy, but with a little bit of an edge.  It's definitely one of those bands that, when I hear them, I am immediately transported to early '80s suburban life.

The album's title track also hit #8 on the Billboard Hot 100.  "Vacation" (the song) is probably the band's most recognizable video, with the waterskiing and all.  Sadly, it would be the band's last Top 10 song, as they broke up after their next album, Talk Show, although lead singer Belinda Carlisle, of course, found huge success in the later half of the decade as a solo artist, with four Top 10 songs between 1986 and 1988 (including the #1 hit "Heaven Is a Place On Earth").  But I digress.  Just enjoy the "Vacation" video, already.

No comments: