Sunday, September 30, 2018

Rocktober is Upon Us!

Hello, children.  Tomorrow marks the beginning of the best month of the year.  And that means Rocktober -- GMYH's annual month-long celebration of rock and roll -- is here again and rarin' to go.  As I do every October, I am going to fill you up with a daily dose of rock, at least on the weekdays where I'm in the office or have access to a computer.  

I've tried to focus on a theme the last several Rocktobers.  Over the last five years, I've done Rocktobers that focus on hair band songs, deep cut artists, the Glorious Ladies of Rocktober, deep cut songs, and live songs and albums. This year and the following five years will be no different.  Welcome, my friends, to the Rocktober Decade Countdown.  This year, all of the Rocktober songs will be from the 1960s.  Next year, all the songs will be from the '70s, and the progression will continue in 2020 ('80s), 2021 ('90s), 2022 ('00s), and 2023 ('10s).  I have not yet determined the theme for 2024, so lay off.

There will be no repeated artists during the course of the month.  I'm going to try my best not to repeat songs that I have featured in prior Rocktobers, but I make no promises.  As always, the week leading up to Halloween -- we'll say from 10/25 to 10/31, since Halloween is on a Wednesday this year -- will feature songs with dark, evil, or macabre themes.  Retro Video of the Week will be suspended during Rocktober, but Hair Band Friday will continue because, even though this Rocktober will focus on the '60s, ain't nothin' wrong with some unadulterated glam metal every Friday (in addition to the Rocktober post, of course).

Remember that this is Rocktober, so these will all be bands, artists, and songs that rock.  There will be popular songs, songs that you may never had heard before, and maybe even some bands and artists you've never heard of.  Rest assured, though, everything will rock.  And everything will be groovy.  Peace.

No comments: