Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Retro Video of the Week: "Hey Mr. D.J." by Zhané

Friday marks the 25th anniversary of the release of R&B duo Zhané's debut album, Pronounced Jah-Nay.  The name of the group is a portmanteau of the French pronunciations of the two women in the group, Jean and Renée.  I love a good word combination.

You may have forgotten about Zhané.  I know I did, until I came across their name today, and it sparked my memory. "Oh yeah, the bald chicks!" is what I yelled out to my very confused four-year-old son.   Turns out, they had a few hits on their debut album, much of which was co-written by Naughty by Nature.  "Hey Mr. D.J." was their biggest hit, going to #6 on the Billboard Hot 100.  In addition, "Groove Thang" went to #17, and "Sending My Love," which hit #40.  I'm going with "Hey Mr. D.J." because it's the song I most associate with the group, and it's a damn catchy '90s R&B tune. Plus Ashley sang it once on the Fresh Prince, and Tatiana Ali could do no wrong.

No comments: