Wednesday, June 30, 2021

CoronaVinyl Day 298 (V): Alfie by Billy Vaughn

For an explanation of CoronaVinyl, click here.

Today's CoronaVinyl category is "V," and my last album by a "V" artist is my third and final Billy Vaughn album.

I featured my other two Vaughn albums back in December and May, respectively -- Billy Vaughn Plays the Million Sellers and Sail Along Silv'ry Moon -- so I won't go into Vaughn's history again.

Alfie was released in 1967, and the album is comprised mostly of songs that had appeared in various movies and musicals.  Like his other stuff that I've featured, it's very big band jazzy, and the kind of music I imagine my grandparents' generation listening to.  The album went to #44 on the Billboard album chart.

The album is not on Spotify, but there is a YouTube video with the full album, so I'm embedding that below.

Favorite song from Side 1:  "Strangers in the Night"
I'm a sucker for Sinatra, and this is an instrumental cover of an Old Blue Eyes classic from 1966, though it apparently was originally a song on the soundtrack of a movie from the same year called A Man Could Get Killed.  And as I just learned, despite the fact that Sinatra's version was his first #1 hit in eleven years, he hated the song!

Favorite song from Side 2:  "One of Those Songs"
This one was peppier than some of the other songs on Side 2, so I went with it.

No comments: