Thursday, August 26, 2021

CoronaVinyl Day 322 (B): The Lemon of Pink by The Books

For an explanation of CoronaVinyl, click here.

Today's CoronaVinyl category is "B," and we're getting weird today with The Books' second studio album, 2003's The Lemon of Pink.

The Books were a duo, comprised of guitarist/vocalist Nick Zammuto and cellist Paul de Jong, that were active in the first decade of this here millennium.  Their music was very experimental, often referred to as collage music because they would combine music with clips of random sounds or conversation.

I got The Lemon of Pink years ago when I was in a monthly record club called Vinyl Me, Please.  This was the record one month, and I don't think I've ever listened to it all the way through until today.  As you can see, the vinyl is a cool sunburst splatter pattern.  The music itself is certainly interesting, but it's not really my bag.  I liken it to The Beatles' "Revolution #9," but with more music.  Sometimes it's acoustic.  Sometimes it's electric.  Sometimes there's vocals.  Sometimes there's random clips of people talking.  Sometimes there's just strange groaning.  It's weird for the sake of being weird.  For the most part, I couldn't really distinguish when one song ended and another started.

Favorite song from Side 1:  "Tokyo"
This song is okay, I guess.

Favorite song from Side 2:  "That Right Ain't Shit"
I chose this one solely because I like the name.

No comments: