Wednesday, May 17, 2023

CoronaVinyl Day 459 (F): Luna Sea by Firefall

For an explanation of CoronaVinyl, click here.

Today's CoronaVinyl category is "F," and I went with soft rockers Firefall's sophomore studio album, 1977's Luna Sea.

First, I have to say that I appreciate the wordplay in the title.  Luna Sea.  Lunacy.  See what they did there?  Or should I say "sea" what they did there?  A lot of times I come back to the stark realization that I should have been a professional boat namer.

This is one of three (!) Firefall albums I have somehow acquired over the years.  As I'm sure you recall, I reviewed their debut album two years and eleven days ago.  I've been waiting exactly that long to review Luna Sea because it is their second album (two years) and went to #11 on the Billboard album chart (and eleven days).  I'm nothing if not a total psychopath for numerological coincidences.

Overall, like their first album, Luna Sea is mixture of soft rock, country rock, and folk rock.  By reaching #11 on the album chart, Luna Sea was the band's highest-charting album, matched by their follow-up, 1978's Elan (which I do not own -- yet).  Following the success of their breakout single from their debut album, "You Are the Woman," which went to #9 on the Billboard Hot 100 (and is a staple on SiriusXM's Yacht Rock Radio), the band's first single from Luna Sea was another big hit.  "Just Remember I Love You" reached #11 -- there's that number again -- on the Billboard Hot 100, #1 on the Billboard Easy Listening (now Adult Contemporary) chart, and #8 on the Canadian pop chart.  "So Long" from the album was a minor hit, reaching #48 on the Billboard Hot 100.

Favorite Song on Side 1:  "Sold On You"
With a little harmonica and country rock riffs, this is an uptempo little ditty that rocks a little harder than some of the other songs on this side.

Favorite Song on Side 2:  "Getaway"
Side 2 kicks off with another more rocking song, complete with cowbell.

No comments: