Wednesday, June 14, 2023

Retro Video of the Week: "Brimful of Asha" by Cornershop

For reasons that are unclear to me -- since I haven't heard this song in well over a decade -- I've had British alt/indie pop band Cornershop's 1997 song "Brimful of Asha" in my head, so that's what I'm choosing for this week's Retro Video of the Week.

Until today, I've never known what the song was about.  It's an homage to Indian playback singer Asha Bhosle, who sang over 12,000 songs for Indian films that were then lip-synched by the actors and actresses.  I also never realized until today that the popular version of the song isn't the original version.  The song was originally released in 1997, and while the album and song were received well critically, the song didn't do much on the charts.

Then, in 1998, Norman Cook -- who we all know and love as Fatboy Slim -- remixed the song, speeding it up and adding his flavor (or flavour, as it were).  The remixed version was a huge hit, reaching #1 on the UK pop chart and the Scottish pop chart and reaching the Top 10 on the pop charts in five other countries, as well as #16 on the Billboard Modern Rock Tracks chart.

I've always enjoyed the video, which has a young girl in a super '60s mod living room rocking out while spinning 45s, as superimposed images of the band members playing their instruments and singing show up on the 45 covers.  Also, I love the line "everybody needs a bosom for a pillow."

No comments: