Friday, December 22, 2023

It's The Most Wonderful Time of the Beer: Hopewell Stay Frosty and Sun King Electric Reindeer

I'm finally caught back up on my beers and should be able to finish the last two on their chose days.

Beer #21 was Stay Frosty, a winter lager from Chicago's Hopewell Brewing.  It seems like this is a beer advent calendar mainstay, and with good reason.  It's a very solid winter lager, and as I've said before, it's the kind of beer that would serve as a good gateway beer for someone who's looking to get into winter beers.  It's got good bit of malt and some sweetness, and at 6%, it's not too heavy.

Name:  Stay Frosty
Brewery:  Hopewell Brewing Company
Location:  Chicago, IL
ABV:  6%
IBU:  N/A
Good for drinking if:  You need a beer to help you relax after a far too busy last day of work before Christmas.
Rating (out of five stars, by quarter star increments):  4

Beer #22 was, I believe, the first Indiana beer in this year's advent calendar.  I've generally enjoyed what I've had from Indianapolis's Sun King Brewery, and I don't know if Electric Reindeer is a new addition to their lineup, but it's great.  I actually had it for the first time a few nights ago after gorging myself on ribs, so I was happy to open the slot and see it in the advent calendar.  It's a brown ale with ginger and molasses, so it has the maltiness of a brown ale, the spice of ginger, and the caramelly sweetness of molasses -- and a very cool can!

Name:  Electric Reindeer
Brewery:  Sun King Brewery
Location:  Indianapolis, IN
ABV:  5.5%
IBU:  23
Good for drinking if:  ALF is watching you watch college football.
Rating (out of five stars, by quarter star increments):  4.25

No comments: