Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Tuesday Top Ten: Life Lessons from Lemmy


As I mentioned yesterday, Friday night, I had the pleasure of going to The Aragon to see Megadeth and Motörhead.  While I was at the show (which was awesome, by the way) listening to Motörhead lead singer Lemmy Kilmister's gravely voice declare some female a "silver-tongued devil, demon wench," I thought to myself that there are some great nuggets in Motörhead songs.  Lemmy is not just a bass-playing metal singer with the greatest facial hair of all-time who has laid over a thousand women.  He is also a teacher.

After a brief Google search, I was horrified to learn that, while there are pages claiming "everything I know I learned from kindergarten" (what, that you only have to work half a day?) or "everything I know I learned from Friends" (what, that Joey loves sandwiches?), but no page claiming "everything I know I learned from Motörhead."  That's just wrong, considering all of the lessons and advice in their songs, so I decided to essentially do that.  Here are my top ten life lessons from Lemmy (and the other guys in the band too, I suppose, but that's not alliterative):

Honorable mention:  Bite the bullet; If you want to feel good, if you want to feel alright, if you want to shake your stuff, get some rock 'n' roll tonight; I've got rock 'n' roll to save me from the cold, and if that's all there is, it ain't so bad; Eat Greek, or eat Chinese.  Eat salad, or scarf up grease.

10.  You're born broke and you die alone.
9.  Rock 'n' roll music is the true religion.
8.  A man's gotta tell the truth, and if it's good, he don't need proof.
7.  Get yourself some original sin.
6.  Stay clean.
5.  Live to win.
4.  Don't let 'em grind ya down.
3.  Gambling's for fools.
2.  The chase is better than the catch.
1.  Dead men tell no tales.

Anything I'm forgetting?

3 comments:

niewor@hotmail.com said...

obviously not enough to get the fucking lyrics, or context, right. Lemmy states: "Silver tongue devil, demon LECH...I KNOW JUST WHAT I'M DOIN...."
As in one familiar with acts of lechery. He's the devil. not some nameless bimbo

Anonymous said...

obviously not enough to get the fucking lyrics, or context, right. Lemmy states: "Silver tongue devil, demon LECH...I KNOW JUST WHAT I'M DOIN...."
As in one familiar with acts of lechery. He's the devil. not some nameless bimbo

GMYH said...

I'll be damned. Thanks for the fucking correction.