Tuesday, June 05, 2012

Tuesday Top Ten: Chevy Chase Movies

Cornelius Crane "Chevy" Chase is one of my favorite actors, and one of the funniest people on Earth (or at least he was when he was on coke).  He dominated comedic film in the 1980s before sputtering a bit in the '90s (Chevy Chase Show, anyone?) and then all but walking away from the entertainment industry to focus on spending time with his wife and daughters.  No matter you're opinion of him, he's a funny man, and here are what I believe to be his ten best movies.

10.  Modern Problems (1981)
Well, something had to be tenth.  Actually, I think this may be the first Chevy Chase movie I ever saw, sometime in 1983 or 1984 at a rich friend's house.  He had HBO.  I found it to be amusing.


9.  Fletch Lives (1989)
This is underrated and isn't nearly as bad as it's made out to be (unlike Caddyshack II, which is just as bad as it's made out to be).


8.  Three Amigos (1986)
Admittedly, I've never seen Three Amigos.  Yes, yes, I know.  I need to see it, and it's abhorrent that I haven't.  I know what you're thinking:  "GMYH, if you've never seen it, how can it be on this list, and how many licks does it take to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop?"  Because it's my blog, that's why, and three.  And I know plenty of people who have seen it, and I'm pretty sure they would agree it's better than the previous two movies on the list, but not as good as the next seven.  Or maybe they wouldn't.  The world may never know.


7.  Funny Farm (1988)
I saw this one in the theater with my mom and aunt, somewhere in suburban Detroit.  I can't remember if I actually wanted to see it or not, but I ended up enjoying it.  When you're 10 years old, there's nothing as hilarious and disgusting as seeing a guy eat 30 lamb fries.  They're lamb testicles, people.  Andy Farmer and I both had quite a shock when that was revealed.


6.  Spies Like Us (1985)
I always forget about Spies Like Us, but it's a pretty damn funny movie.  Remember the Cold War?  That was always a ripe subject for comedy, naked Russian chicks, and/or the combination of the two.


5.  European Vacation (1985)
I recently watched this again for the first time in years.  Good stuff.  Pig in a Poke.


4.  Vacation (1983)
Vacation was Chase's first go-round as Clark Griswold, and it was a good one.  Station wagons, the Grand Canyon, getting lost, crazy cousins, dead aunts, Christie Brinkley, and amusement parks.  That's what America is all about.


3.  Caddyshack (1980)
I'm sure I don't need to explain why Caddyshack is awesome, since it is probably the funniest movie of all-time.  Chase's under-the-breath one-liners as the carefree millionaire Ty Webb helped propel him into movie stardom.  This would have been higher, but I think Chase's performances in the next two movies are even better than his performance in Caddyshack.  I know what you're thinking:  "GMYH, you're crazy."  That's what they said about Son of Sam.


2.  Christmas Vacation (1989)
This movie redefined Christmas films, and immortalized Clark Griswold.  Sure, Chase played a masterful Clark in the first two Vacation movies, but they don't hold a candle to this.  It's not officially Christmas until Clark calls his boss a cheap, lying, no-good, rotten, four-flushing, low-life, snake-licking, dirt-eating, inbred, overstuffed, ignorant, blood-sucking, dog-kissing, brainless, dickless, hopeless, heartless, fat-ass, bug-eyed, stiff-legged, spotty-lipped, worm-headed sack of monkey shit.


1.  Fletch (1985)
This is one of my favorite movies, and I've seen it dozens of times.  Each time I see it, I discover another line.  If you haven't seen it, watch it and then watch it again.  If you don't get it or don't think it's funny, we can't be friends anymore.  Chase is about as funny as a human being can be in this movie.  I know what you're thinking:  "Would you like some drinks, GMYH, while you wait?"  Yes, very good.  I'll have a Bloody Mary and a steak sandwich and a steak sandwich.

No comments: