Wednesday, July 04, 2012

Tuesday Top Ten: Vacation Cities for Beer Lovers

Yes, I realize this is one day late, but I had some trivia to play last night.  Our team, Mayburied, won the funniest team name, but finished in second place by one point.  That's what happens when the "name that tune" round includes country and techno songs.


But I digress.  I love beer, and I've never met a brewery tour or a brewpub I haven't liked.  I also like drinking beer in cities other than Chicago.  That's why you can imagine my delight when I came across a Yahoo Travel article entitled "10 Best Vacation Cities for Beer Lovers."  Here is their top ten list, in no particular order:
1.  Burlington, VT
2.  Fort Collins, CO
3.  Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo, MI
4.  Charlottesville, VA
5.  Seattle, WA
6.  Portland, OR
7.  Asheville, NC
8.  Portland, ME
9.  San Diego, CA
10. Milwaukee, WI


I can't say I disagree with the list.  It was obviously limited to U.S. cities, or else Munich, Brussels, Dublin, and London would be no-brainers.  That said, I think in a year or two, Chicago will be on this list, and it probably already deserves to be.  Goose Island is the big local brewery with its main brewery located on the near West Side (even though 312 is now made in New York, after the purchase by InBev), a brewpub in Lincoln Park, and a restaurant and bar in Wrigleyville.  But there are plenty of other local breweries that make great beers, like Two Brothers out in Warrenville, Half Acre in Lincoln Square, and Metropolitan in Ravenswood.  And I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Three Floyd's, which is a short drive away in Munster, Indiana.  In November, Lagunitas, a great California microbrewery, is opening up a brewery and tap room in Chicago.  There are also some really good local brewpubs that, for the most part, only serve their beers at their respective restaurants/bars, like Piece in Wicker Park, Revolution in Logan Square, Haymarket in the West Loop, and the newly opened Atlas in Lincoln Park.


A great road trip would be a Lake Michigan brewery tour.  Start in Milwaukee and southern Wisconsin, hitting Miller, Lakefront, Sprecher, and New Glarus.  Then head to the Chicago area, hitting Two Brothers, before heading into the city to hit some or all of the aforementioned options.  Then head to Munster to Three Floyd's.  Then head up to southwestern Michigan, hitting Bell's in Kalamazoo, Arcadia in Battle Creek, Founder's in Grand Rapids, and New Holland in Holland.  Then head to the gym and/or the doctor.  This looks like it would take at least four or five days if you want to do it right.  Also, you may want to bring an extra set of kidneys.

No comments: