Tuesday, October 04, 2016

Rocktober Deep Cut Artist #2: Those Darlins

For the criteria for bands and artists to be considered "deep cut artists," click here.

Band or artist:  Those Darlins
Where from:  USA
Years active: 2006-2016
Number of studio albums:  3
Highest-charting single on the Billboard Hot 100:  N/A
Highest-charting studio album on the Billboard 200:  N/A

In early 2011, I went to see Black Joe Lewis & The Honeybears at The Double Door here in Chicago.  Their opener was band called Those Darlins, with three females up front and a male drummer.  They were sonically appeasing to me, so I bought their self-titled debut album, which, at the time, was their only release.  It was an odd, but catchy, mix of punk, rockabilly, alt country, garage rock, and what I would describe as hillbilly folk.  I liked the album enough that I bought their two follow-up albums, 2011's Screws Get Loose and 2013's Blur The Lines –- both of which moved more in the direction of garage rock, pop punk, and indie rock.  It was all good, though.  Unfortunately, the band announced its break up last December, and played its last show on St. Patrick's Day this past March.

The song I'm going to play for you all is "Red Light Love," the first track off of their debut album.  It's probably my favorite of their songs, and it's representative of the songs I liked most by the band -- tilting towards garage rock, catchy, and harmonious.  It was also featured in a Kia commercial a few years back, where some toys were communicating with each other in the back seat.  So there's that.

No comments: