Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Retro Video of the Week: "Don't Go Away Mad (Just Go Away)" by Mötley Crüe

As I was looking for a Retro Video of the Week for this week, there wasn't anything that stood out at me as far as major anniversaries of important albums, songs, or deaths.  The obvious choice would be to go with a Soundgarden or Temple of the Dog video, but I think my post yesterday with my Top Ten Chris Cornell Songs covered any videos I would have posted today.

So, I decided to just put iTunes on random and go with the first song that fits the criteria for Retro Video of the Week (i.e., a song with a music video released in the MTV era, which is roughly August 1981 to mid 2000).  After a bunch of older songs, newer songs, or MTV-era songs without a video, in walked a beaut':  "Don't Go Away Mad (Just Go Away)" by Mötley Crüe.  She's an underrated song of of 1989's mega album Dr. Feelgood, as much as a song that hit #19 on the Billboard Hot 100 can be underrated.  I suppose, for me, it's about the fifth or sixth song I think of when I think of Dr. Feelgood -- the title track, "Kickstart My Heart," "Without You," "Same Ol' Situation (S.O.S.)" (which is my Mötley Crüe song), and maybe even "Time For Change" come to mind first.  

I'm not sure why that is, since "Don't Go Away Mad (Just Go Away)" is a hell of a catchy rock and roll song, that crescendos into a frenzy after starting out kind of slow and acoustic.  The message is as simple as it is timeless:  "Girl, don't go away mad.  Just go away."  It's kind of a nice sentiment if you think about it.  "Hey, girl.  Let's not split hairs here.  Even though you're a supermodel, I want you the fuck out of my life.  But to be clear, I really don't want there to be any ill will between us.  With that in mind, I think it would be best if you left my gigantic loft in New York City, where I'm living for some reason, even though the rest of my band is in L.A., but when you do leave, it is imperative that you so do in a pleasant mood."

No comments: