Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Tuesday Top Ten: All 213 Beatles Songs Ranked

I don't have time to write my own Tuesday Top Ten this week, but thankfully my friend Chenandler Bong -- excuse me, Ms. Chenandler Bong -- sent me a link to a recent article on MSN/Vulture entitled "All 213 Beatles Songs Ranked, From Worst to Best."  It says it's written by Bill Wyman, but I'm not sure if that's the same Bill Wyman who was the bass player for the Rolling Stones for 30+ years.  As you may recall, back in 2010, Rolling Stone magazine issued its list of the top ten Beatles songs, which prompted me to provide my own list of my ten favorite Beatles songs.  

Here are Wyman's Top Ten:
10.  "Rain"
9.  "Eleanor Rigby"
8.  "Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown")
7.  "Here, There, and Everywhere"
6.  "Dear Prudence"
5.  "Please Please Me"
4.  "She Loves You"
3.  "Penny Lane"
2.  "Strawberry Fields Forever"
1.  "A Day In the Life"

It's not a bad top ten, but music is quite subjective, and different Beatles songs resonate more with some than others.  You certainly can't fault the top two songs.  After that, I'd say his top ten is, well, not what I would have gone with.  "Dig A Pony" was tied for #4 on my list, and it came in at #209 on Wyman's list, so clearly I don't agree with everything in Wyman's list. The fact that "Revolution #9" isn't ranked #213 (and that Wyman thinks there are about 100 Beatles songs worse than that one) is a bit of a surprise.  Regardless, it's a really detailed and insightful list, even if I don't agree with all of the rankings.  It's a good read for any Beatles fan.

No comments: