Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Rocktober '60s Song #12: "Boss With the Hot Sauce" by Davis & Jones and The Fenders (1964)

Today is Boss's Day -- which is maybe the most ridiculous of all the Hallmark holidays.  As one of my co-workers recounted, when we were discussing this, she noted that when the Black Women's Expo started back in the early '90s, a white co-worker of her asked, "When is the white women's expo?"  She replied, "Every expo is the white women's expo."  That's how I feel about Boss's Day.  Every day is Boss's Day.  There is absolutely no need to have a Boss's Day.  Of course, that doesn't mean I'm not going to enjoy the Boss's Day potluck lunch my company puts on every year.

But anywho, in honor of this bullshit "holiday," today's song is a hidden gem called "Boss With the Hot Sauce" by Davis & Jones and The Fenders.  My only familiarity with the song is a result of hearing The Detroit Cobras' gender-reworked cover, "Boss Lady," off of their 2001 sophomore album, Life, Love, and Leaving.  The band plays mostly covers of obscure songs from the '50s and '60s, and "Boss With the Hot Sauce" is one of them.

All I know about the original is who sang it and that it was released in 1964.  It's a soulful song, in the vein of The Contours' "Do You Love Me," with wailing vocals and a tempo that makes you want to shake your hips.  I can neither confirm nor deny that it is about Walter S. McIlhenny, who served as president of the McIlhenny Company -- makers of Tabasco Sauce -- from 1949 to 1985.  Even if it's not, it probably should be.  I also need to start referring to myself as "the lamp-lighter to the promised land" more often than I already do.

No comments: