Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Rocktober '60s Song #17: "Take It As It Comes" by The Doors (1967)

The Doors are arguably the greatest American rock band of all-time.  They brought a dark, mystical, and introspective side to rock and roll that hadn't really been explored before they arrived.  Jim Morrison makes a good case for being the first true rock star, as we now think of rock stars -- a larger-than-life genius, tormented by drugs and booze, who would do outlandish things on and off the stage.  And he could sing like a mad man.  The other guys in the band weren't too shabby either.  Ray Manzarak on the keyboards brought a Chicago blues-loving background, while drummer John Densmore and guitarist Robbie Krieger both had varied musical influences.  Together, the four of them weren't afraid to experiment and push musical boundaries.

Choosing a Doors song for Rocktober was difficult.  They released six albums between 1967 and Morrison's ascension to the 27 Club in 1971, and then a couple more without Morrison after that.  Four albums were released in the '60s, so that at least cuts down the pool a little for me.  The problem is that I could pick just about any song off of their debut album, most of the songs off of Strange Days or Waiting for the Sun, and, well, maybe a handful of songs off of Soft Parade.

Since their self-title debut album is the first Doors album I ever owned and has remained my favorite Doors album to this day, I'll go with something off of that.  While the big hits -- "Light My Fire" and "Break On Through (To The Other Side)" -- are great songs, it's the other songs on the album that do it for me.  I've already featured "Soul Kitchen" in a Rocktober past, so that's out.  And even though we are nearly the start of Halloween week (look for spooky tunes starting tomorrow!), I won't torment you with the dark, nearly 12-minute, Oedipal drama, "The End."  No need to take you to places you don't need to go on a Tuesday afternoon.

I could throw a dart to choose from the remaining songs, but I don't have a dart (thanks, Obama), so I'll just choose "Take It As It Comes," the tenth track off the album and an underrated gem.  It's also a nice anthem for people who need to chill the fuck out.

No comments: