Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Retro Video of the Week: "Satisfied" by Richard Marx

In recent years, I've joined the fan clubs of certain bands (GNR, Def Leppard, among others) to get certain perks, such as first crack at concert tickets and the like.  However, a little publicized fact about me is that the first musician/band's fan club I ever joined was, in fact, that of Richard Marx.

It was 1988 or 1989, and Marx was one of the Top 40's biggest stars.  His second album, Repeat Offender, was released thirty years ago this Friday.  The album hit #1 on the Billboard album charts and eventually went quadruple platinum in the U.S.  With the first three singles from the album hitting the Top 5 of the Billboard Hot 100 -- "Satisfied" (#1), "Right Here Waiting" (#1), and "Angelia" (#4) -- Marx became the first solo artist to have his first seven singles hit the Top 5 of the Billboard Hot 100.  And Repeat Offender's next two singles were both Top 15 ("Too Late To Say Goodbye" (#12) and "Children of the Night (#13)).  Not too shabby.  

Marx has also been a super successful songwriter for other artists, writing hits across genres for the likes of Kenny Rogers, Vixen, Luther Vandross, N Sync, and Keith Urban, among many others.  And, of course, he's now married to former MTV VJ Daisy Fuentes.

The song I'm choosing is "Satisfied" because it's a little more rocking than Repeat Offender's other #1 song, the ballad "Right Here Waiting."  "Satisfied" is really a great example of late '80s pop rock, and Marx's hair in the video is spectacular.  The song hit #1 in the summer of 1989, just as I was getting ready to enter sixth grade.  It served as a reminder that, no matter what, I shouldn't give up until I'm satisfied, and I think I lived that mantra in sixth grade -- the only year of my preteen youth in which I had two girlfriends.

No comments: