Monday, April 13, 2020

CoronaVinyl Day 28 (Jazz): Oscar Peterson Trio + One by Oscar Peterson Trio and Clark Terry

For an explanation of CoronaVinyl, click here.
Today's CoronaVinyl category is jazz, and while I have some jazz on vinyl, I don't really listen to all that much of it.  Frankly, the only time I've really listened to much jazz is when I was in law school because I listened to a lot of instrumental music during the two to five hours a night I had to read.  I needed some background noise, but I didn't want lyrics to take my attention away from the often dry and verbose subject matter to which I needed to pay attention.  As for my jazz vinyl records, I don't know where I got most of them -- likely as part of various lots of records I bought online.

Anywho, my selection for today is Oscar Peterson Trio + One by Oscar Peterson Trio and Clark Terry, released in 1964.  Peterson is known as one of the greatest jazz pianists of all-time, and his eponymous trio had various members over the years who played bass, drums, or guitar.  The incarnation of the Trio on this album was longtime Peterson collaborator Ray Brown on the double bass and Ed Thigpen on drums.  Peterson also liked to do one-off collaborations with other jazz musicians.  Hence, he brought in trumpeter Clark Terry to make this album.  Terry was one of the most prolific and influential trumpeters in jazz history, who appeared on over 900 recordings during his career in jazz that lasted more than seven decades.

I don't know how to describe the album, other than it sounds like classic jazz.  It's mostly upbeat, and it's the kind of music you would expect to be played in a nice steak house.  It doesn't necessarily grab your attention, but it's a pleasant sound for the background of whatever you might be doing.

Favorite song from Side 1:  "Brotherhood of Man"
The first track on the album is a peppy little number, where Peterson showcases his piano skills and Terry blows his horn, behind the solid backing of Brown and Thigpen's rhythm section.

Favorite song from Side 2:  "Squeaky's Blues"
I tend to prefer the up-tempo songs, and this is one of them.  Terry is great on this track, as is Peterson.  I have a vision in my head of a smokey jazz club, with the audience quietly enjoying their cocktails and bopping their heads along to this.

No comments: