Thursday, October 22, 2020

Rocktober '80s Song #16: "2 Minutes to Midnight" by Iron Maiden (1984)

With little more than a week to go in this Rocktober, there's not enough room for every band I'd like to feature, and tough decisions need to be made.  Such is the life of longtime, music-obsessed blogger who reaches nearly triple digit views each day.  But anyway, today is the day I must feature Iron Maiden.  

Of course, Iron Maiden was one of the most influential metal bands of the '80s, and they have continued to make music and tour for the last 40 years.  If we ever have concerts again and Iron Maiden comes to a venue near you, do yourself a favor and check them out.  They're one of the best live bands I've seen (and I've seen a lot).  Musically, they're as tight and technically proficient as anyone out there, Bruce Dickinson's opera-quality voice still booms, and their stage show is still second to none.  In my opinion, they deserve to be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

The song I'm going with is "2 Minutes to Midnight," from the band's 1984 Powerslave album -- the band's third album in three years since Dickinson replaced Paul Di'Anno as the lead singer (and the band's fifth album in five years).  The song is a reference to the Doomsday Clock that was inching closer to midnight thanks to the Cold War, and it's an anti-war song that lambastes nuclear war and the politicians who benefit from war at the expense of everyone else.

It reached #11 on the UK pop chart, the band's 9th Top 40 song in the UK.  In the U.S., it reached #25 on the Billboard Mainstream Rock tracks chart.

If I wanted to be coy, I would have posted this at 11:58 p.m., but I hope to be swishing around some enamel-restoring mouthwash by that time. Rock and roll!

No comments: