Wednesday, May 05, 2021

CoronaVinyl Day 264 (E): Sheena Easton by Sheena Easton

For an explanation of CoronaVinyl, click here.

Today's CoronaVinyl category is "E," and we're keeping it in the early '80s with Sheena Easton's self-titled 1981 debut album.  And my version of the album still has the shrink wrap on it, so you can see my reflection in the photo above.

If you're like me -- and you better pray to Nessie you're not -- you mixed up Sheena Easton and Sheila E. when you were a kid, maybe because both were loosely associated with Prince.  They are not the same person.  One lived the glamourous life.  One took the morning train.  But anyway, Sheena Easton was a Scottish pop singer who was quite popular in the '80s.

Her self-titled debut as it was known in the U.S. and Canada was known as Take My Time in the UK.  It was a pleasant example of early '80s pop, reaching #24 on the Billboard album chart and producing two Top 20 hits on the Billboard Hot 100, the kitschy "Morning Train (Nine to Five)," which went to #1, and "Modern Girl," which went to #18.

Between 1980 and 1991, Easton had 15 Top 40 hits on the Billboard Hot 100, including 8 Top 10 hits.

The Spotify version of the album is the UK Take My Time playlist order, and it also contains some extra tracks.

Favorite song on Side 1:  "Morning Train (Nine to Five)"
Whenever I hear this song, I think about Kramer taking the subway, so it makes me happy.

Favorite song on Side 2:  "One Man Woman"
This is a synthy early '80s pop song about not being a tramp. 

No comments: