Thursday, May 27, 2021

CoronaVinyl Day 279 (Y): Over & Over by Tina Yothers

For an explanation of CoronaVinyl, click here.

Today's CoronaVinyl category is "Y," and my only non-Neil Young record by a "Y" artists is a little bit of '80s pop culture history.  It's Tina Yothers's 1987 EP, Over & Over.

Yothers, of course, was best know as Jennifer Keaton in Family Ties, which was one of my favorite shows as a kid.  A few years ago, I had a short but ardent addiction to an online estate auction website called Everything But The House (though it wasn't just for estate sales -- there were also just sales by living people who had a lot to liquidate).  I purchased various lots of records from EBTH, as well as some other stuff.  My most prized purchase was a lot of memorabilia that, at one time, belonged to Brian Bonsall, who played the adorable Andy, the youngest Keaton, on Family Ties.  There was some really cool Family Ties memorabilia in the lot, including several annual cast gifts, like a Family Ties champagne flute and a Family Ties sweatshirt (which was way too small, as it was for Bonsall, who was then somewhere between five and eight years old), as well as a copy of the script from the Family Ties series finale and a Family Ties board game.  

Also included was a 12-inch vinyl EP of Over & Over, which contained a personal note from Yothers to Bonsall and his mother (and someone named Jenny), stating, "To Kathy + Jenny [and] Brian, I'm sorry you didn't make it to the concert.  Maybe next time by myself!!! You guys are great.  Tina OOXOX."  As you can see, I have it framed, and it hangs in my Rock and Roll Staircase, alongside some of my other music memorabilia, like a Doors CD autographed by Robbie Krieger, an autographed Black Keys CD, an original KISS comic book, and various other cool shit.

There are only two songs on Over & Over, neither of which is named "Over & Over."  Yothers had performed a cover of disco artist The Raes' "Baby I'm Back In Love Again" during an episode of Family Ties in 1987, and that's the song that's on Side 1.  It's about exactly the kind of synth pop you'd expect to be sung by a 14-year-old female TV star in 1987.  That's not a knock.  It's a catchy '80s pop song.

Side 2 is a cover of "Girlie Girlie," a 1985 reggae song originally by Sophia George, who I just learned is the mother of recently retired New England Patriots' safety Patrick Chung.

Since there are only two songs on the EP, I'm just going to embed both of them below.  It's safe to assume that each song is my favorite on its respective side.

No comments: