Wednesday, May 18, 2022

Retro Video of the Week: "Cross My Broken Heart" by The Jets

Friday is the 35th anniversary of the release of Beverly Hills Cop II and its accompanying soundtrack, which itself was a rousing success.  The soundtrack reached #8 on the Billboard album chart and eventually went platinum in the U.S.  It featured the #1 song "Shakedown" by Bob Seger, a pre-Faith release of George Michael's #2 hit "I Want Your Sex," a #7 hit for The Jets, "Cross My Broken Heart," and a #42 song by The Pointer Sisters, "Be There."

Since I haven't featured any songs by The Jets in the last decade-plus since I started doing Retro Video of the Week, now is as good a time as any.  For a few years in the late '80s, Minneapolis-based family band The Jets had a nice string of hits, with six Top 20 hits on the Billboard Hot 100 between 1986 and 1988, five of which reached the Top 10.  One of those was "Cross My Broken Heart," which, as I mentioned above, went to #7.  The Jets are one of those bands that are so quintessentially '80s to me.  Any time I hear one of their songs, I'm immediately transported back to grade school and listening to Z-95 on my boombox in my bedroom while doing homework.

The video is perfectly '80s, from the teased hair to the drum machines with those hexagonal electronic drum heads to the dance moves to the keytar.

No comments: