Tuesday, October 04, 2022

Rocktober '00s Song #2: "Great Expectations" by The Gaslight Anthem (2008)

One of my favorite bands to emerge in the aughts was New Jersey's The Gaslight Anthem.  Drawing on the noble Jersey storytelling-through-songwriting tradition of Springsteen and others, the band managed to combine heartland rock, indie rock, and punk, and they made it work.  At some point, I said that if The Killers had grown up in New Jersey instead of Vegas, this might be what they sound like.  If you like great rock and roll with interesting lyrics, this is your band.

Their second album, 2008's The '59 Sound, is one of my favorite albums from the decade.  If you've never heard of the band or aren't familiar with their music, this is where you should start.  The lyrics are full of stories and imagery of love lost, outcasts, escape, and revelry, set against a backdrop of driving beats and punky hooks.

The first track off the album is "Great Expectations," which kicks the album off with a bang.  After a couple seconds of a needle on vinyl, the song smacks you in the face with immediate vocals and breakneck drums that don't stop for the remainder of the song.  Lyrically, it's about not making your move because you'd rather play it safe than get hurt again.  From the first time I heard the song, I have loved the chorus:  "I saw tail lights last night / In a dream about my first wife / Everybody leaves / And I'd expect as much from you."

No comments: