Monday, October 31, 2022

Rocktober '00s Song #21: "Zombie Graveyard Party!" by Be Your Own Pet

Our final selection in this year's waltz through the aughts is from Nashville's Be Your Own Pet.  This is another band I couldn't tell you how I first heard of them, but I'm glad I did.  They formed as high schoolers in 2004, and they were signed by the now-defunct Nashville label Infinity Cat Records, which was founded by brothers Jake and Jamin Orall (who would got on to be JEFF The Brotherhood, and the latter of which was the original Be Your Own Pet drummer) and their father Robert.

BYOP, for short, was a wonderful little punk band that was only around for a few years, though apparently recently reunited to open for Jack White's tour this year.  I bought basically all of their offerings straight from Infinity Cat, and it was particularly cool because they would always come with a handwritten note from Jake or Jamin thanking me for my purchase.  In 2008, the band released their second full-length album, Get Awkward, which Rolling Stone ranked as #45 on its list of albums of the year.

"Zombie Graveyard Party!" isn't my favorite song from the album, but it's the most pertinent song for this list on this day.  And with that, we have reached the end of another Rocktober.  Stay tuned tomorrow for the start of Stowvember, a daily look at the people and sites of Akron's most overlooked suburb.

No comments: