Monday, December 12, 2022

It's The Most Wonderful Time of the Beer: The Last Three Beers

I've slacked on posting the last couple days, and I even forgot to drink a beer yesterday, so I had to swallow my pride and drink two today.  Here are the last three:
Beer #10 in the advent calendar was a variant of a great local porter.  Ravinia Brewing started in Chicago suburb Highland Park, and then a few years ago, they opened up a brew pub in the city's Logan Square neighborhood.  The Baldwin porter is a good one, and for the holidays this year, they put some Connect Roasters coffee in it for Cafe Baldwin.  Despite that I don't drink coffee, I very much enjoy coffee-infused beers, particularly the darker one.  This was nice and roasty, and the coffee flavor was just the right amount.

Name:  Cafe Baldwin
Brewery:  Ravinia Brewing Company
Location:  Highland Park, IL/Chicago, IL
ABV:  6.3%
IBU:  35
Good for drinking if:  You need a little pick-me-up because your water heater broke.
Rating (out of five stars, by quarter star increments):  4.25

Beer #11 -- which I forgot to drink yesterday -- is a repeat from last year's beer advent calendar.  I'm not complaining.  Vixen is a variant of local brewery Around The Bend's delightful pistachio cream ale, Vera.  They add cinnamon to Vera, but not too much.  The result is a pleasant, easy drinking seasonal beer that counteracts some of the heavier winter beers this time of year.

Name:  Vixen
Brewery:  Around the Bend Beer Company
Location:  Chicago, IL
ABV:  5.0%
IBU:  11.4
Good for drinking if:  You're livin' on the edge of a broken heart.
Rating (out of five stars, by quarter star increments):  4.25

Today's beer was from a local brewery that I've never heard of.  Egad!  Azadi Brewing is apparently some sort of collaboration between suburban brewery Miskatonic and city brewery incubator Pilot Project.  Jaago is titled a "chicory amber ale," which is a new one for me.  I love amber ales, and the chicory adds some roastiness to it.  

Name:  Jaago
Brewery:  Azadi Brewing Company
Location:  Chicago, IL
ABV:  6.0%
IBU:  N/A
Good for drinking if:  You're watching your alma mater's soccer team lose a heartbreaking national title game in a sudden death penalty kick shootout.
Rating (out of five stars, by quarter star increments):  4.25

No comments: