Wednesday, August 16, 2023

Retro Video of the Week: "Footloose" by Kenny Loggins

Kenny Loggins is playing at Ravinia in suburban Chicago this weekend, and I'm scoping ticket prices to see if it's worth my while to go.  Either way, I'm going to honor the King of the Movie Soundtrack in this week's Retro Video of the Week.

After having success in the early '70s with Jim Messina in the aptly named duo Loggins & Messina, Loggins's solo career began in 1977, and he picked up where he left off, with three Top 40 hits between 1977 and 1980, including one Top 5 hit (his 1978 duet with Stevie Nicks, "Whenever I Call You 'Friend'").

Then, in 1980, Loggins embarked on his journey that earned him the King of the Movie Soundtrack moniker, with "I'm Alright" from Caddyshack, which went to #7 on the Billboard Hot 100.  Over the rest of the decade -- in addition to the five non-soundtrack Top 40 hits he had -- Loggins was the go-to musician for soundtracks, charting the following six soundtrack songs on the Billboard Hot 100:
  • "Footloose" (#1) and "I'm Free (Heaven Helps The Man)" (#22) from Footloose in 1984
  • "Danger Zone" (#2) and "Playing With the Boys" (#60) from Top Gun in 1986
  • "Meet Me Half Way" (#11) from Over The Top in 1987
  • "Nobody's Fool" (#11) from Caddyshack II in 1988.
I'm going with "Footloose," which was Loggins's first and only #1.  It's also one of those songs that not only immediately takes me back to 1984, but always puts me in a good mood.

No comments: