Tuesday, September 04, 2012

Tuesday Top Ten: Things I'm Looking Forward To This NFL Season


This could be the best week ever.  Holiday on Monday.  Kiss/Mötley Crüe on Friday.  College football, Flugtag, and Springsteen on Saturday.  And, perhaps most importantly, the 2012-2013 NFL season kicks off (pun intended) tomorrow night, as the Cowboys visit the defending Super Bowl champion Giants.  I may not be as giddy for the NFL as I am for college football, but that doesn't mean I'm not giddy for the NFL.  Here are the ten things I'm most looking forward to this NFL season, in no particular order.

10.  Finding the next fantasy free agent sleeper
Last year it was Rob Gronkowski (I didn't have him, but he killed me several times), the 49ers defense, and Eric Decker (who I did have, but who also ended up killing me with zero points in my championship game).  None were drafted (at least not in my leagues), and all ended up being fantasy studs.  Hopefully I can pick up some similar free agents before anyone else figures out they're any good.

Season 4 of FX's hilarious fantasy-football-based sitcom debuts October 11.  Watch it.  Love it.

8.  Thursday Night Football every week
Aside from this week (where the first game is on Wednesday instead of Thursday) and the last week of the season (where all games are on Sunday), there will be a Thursday night NFL game every week.  That is awesome, even if it means the Bears have a short week to prepare for the Packers next week.

7.  The Jets' inevitable implosion
The Jets' solution to their anemic offense was to add a fullback as their backup quarterback.  The Sanchez/Tebow competition and debate will be weird and enthralling.  Frankly, I don't think either of them are NFL-caliber quarterbacks.  So, at this time next year, Rex Ryan may not be the head coach.  Then again, maybe their defense is good enough to keep them afloat.

6.  The Packers not making the playoffs
It has to happen.  Because I hate them.  Although I hope Jermichael Finley has 100 yards and a TD in every one of their 16 losses this year (aside from when they are shut out twice by the Bears).  Because he is my fantasy tight end.

5.  Figuring out whether the Eagles are for real
Last season, the Eagles were preseason Super Bowl favorites after they loaded up on big-name free agents.  Then they finished 8-8, winning their last four games to get to .500.  Needless to say, it was a huge disappointment for the Eagles and their fans.  To make matters worse, the rival Giants won the Super Bowl.  With all the talent the Eagles have, I think they need to make the playoffs to save Andy Reid's job.

4.  How the Saints respond to "Bountygate"
The Saints will be without certain players, coaches, and executives for all or part of the season, depending on who it is.  Drew Brees and the offense have even more pressure on them as a result (and pressure from me, as well, since Brees is my fantasy QB), not that following up the highest single-season passing yardage total wasn't going to be hard enough.

3.  Peyton being better than Eli (again)
I don't know about you, but I'm kind of sick of Eli Manning, and I find it a little disconcerting that he has won two Super Bowl rings, when Peyton is clearly the better quarterback.  Not that I'm a huge Peyton fan or anything, but I am excited to see him back and healthy, since he is one of the best QBs ever.  With him at the helm, I think the Broncos are the AFC West favorite.

2.  Luck and RG3
It has been a long time since two rookie quarterbacks have been this hyped, so it will be interesting to see whether Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III can live up to it.  I don't think anyone was expecting Cam Newton to have the kind of year he had last year, and he might have actually done Luck and Griffin a disservice because they have a pretty high standard to which they will be compared.

1.  The Bears being healthy (*crossed fingers*)
It seems like the Bears have had major injuries at inopportune times the last couple seasons, making what could have been a Super Bowl appearance followed by another deep playoff run into an NFC championship game loss followed by an 8-8 record after a 7-3 start.  The NFL North (even after all these years, I still initially typed NFC Central) is probably the toughest division in the NFL this year, with the Bears, Packers, and Lions all being legitimate playoff hopefuls.  I think the addition of Brandon Marshall adds what will hopefully be the final piece in the Bears' puzzle.  If the Bears can avoid major injuries, I am expecting big things.  And by "big things," I mean at least 10 wins and no third-string wide receivers getting busted for running major drug rings.

No comments: