Thursday, September 27, 2012

Random Things To Keep You Busy in My Absence


I'll be returning videotapes until John Lennon's birthday, so I will be unable to post anything during that time.  It would figuratively kill me (literally) if I were to leave you without anything to do during that time, so here are some links to enjoy. 

1.  First and foremost, in these pre-election times, it's important to let everyone know who you are and that you vote.  Go to And I Vote Stickers to buy any variety of bumper stickers (and a couple t-shirts) with ". . . and I vote" phrases, ranging from the mundane ("I'm a Republican and I vote") to the awesome ("I love metal and I vote") to the nonsensical ("I'm pro-histamine and I vote").

2.  While I am gone, I encourage you to take up knitting or kite surfing.  I do not, however, encourage you to take up butt chugging.  (Thanks, I guess, to Adam for the link).

3.  If you want to see how gullible and sheltered people can be, check out Literally Unbelievable, which posts interpretation of Onion articles from Facebook, Twitter, and media outlets.  The responses are hilarious.  It is literally unbelievable that people don't know The Onion is fake, especially when the stories are things like "Media Having Trouble Finding Right Angle on Obama's Double-Homicide" or "Newborn Loses Faith in Humanity After Record 6 Days."  (Thanks to RDC for the link.)

4.  If you want to see what the most standoffish and disinterested quarterback in the National Football League would look like if he had cigarettes in his mouth, check out Smoking Jay Cutler.  (Thanks to Weez for the link.)

5.  Here's a good article from Grantland about The Darkness and Andrew W.K., both of whom I had the pleasure of seeing in concert this year.  Frankly, I never thought either has ever tried to be ironic in their music.  (Thanks to DBH for the link.)

6.  Mr. Belding is apparently now a professional wrestler, presumably named Beldo.  (Thanks to Allison for the link.)  I wonder if Nedick still needs someone his own size to pick on.

7.  Sketch comedy team Urlakis & Cusick is back this fall with another show at Stage 773 called Questionable Lullabies.  I saw their previous show last December, and it was hilarious.  As I mentioned then, I know Sean Cusick from Second City, and he is not only very funny, but really has a nose for good sketch comedy.  The show is at 8 p.m. on Fridays, October 12 through November 16, at Stage 773 (1225 W. Belmont in Chicago). Tickets are $15 and available online at Stage773.com or by calling 773-237-5252.  I will definitely be going at some point.

8.  An awesome article breaking down the second greatest music video of all-time, "November Rain" by Guns N' Roses (thanks to Weez for the link).  In case it wasn't obvious, "Take On Me" by a-ha is the greatest.


10.  Here is this week's Retro Video of the Week, "Back to the Hotel" by N2Deep, per the request of Tron.


11.  Here is next week's Retro Video of the Week, "Rhythm of the Night" by DeBarge.  I implore you to dislike this song.  You cannot.

No comments: