Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Retro Video of the Week: "Steal My Sunshine" by Len

This past weekend marked the 15th anniversary of the release of Len's album You Can't Stop the Bum Rush.  The band, of course, is known for their one hit, "Steal My Sunshine," which was on that album.  The song shot all the way up to #9 on the Billboard Hot 100, and was an international success as well, cracking the Top 10 in Australia (#3), Canada (#1), Ireland (#3), and the UK (#8).

For me, the song is so much more than a happy-go-lucky '90s one-hit wonder.  It became popular the summer before my senior year of college, and I took a quick liking to it.  I am normally a subpar dancer and have no desire to dance, but this song struck a chord with my inner rhythm.  As I mention on my "About GMYH" page, if you want me to dance, you better play "Steal My Sunshine" or give me a lot of booze.  Better yet, do both.  And then back up.

If you attended a wedding with me between the years 2000 and 2005, you know what I'm talking about, as you've likely witnessed me flying through the air, break dancing, attempting to do The Worm, or sliding head first through the legs of some mortified woman who I now call my wife while this song is playing.  It got to the point that I had to retire it because I left too much of myself out there on the dance floor, but people still request that I do it at the occasional wedding, to which I usually say, "That part of my life, like so many others, died the day I put this ring on my finger."  What can I say, the song speaks to me.  As soon as I hear that opening swirl and the repeating "More More More" sample, my hips start to thrust suggestively and a demented smile comes across my face. God damn, I miss the '90s.

No comments: