Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Retro Video of the Week: "Sussudio" by Phil Collins

Yesterday marked the 15th anniversary of the release of one of my favorite movies, American Psycho, based on one of my favorite books (although admittedly, I didn't read the book until after I saw the movie).  Thanks to my friend and murder confidante Adam for sending me a link to a Mental Floss article entitled "19 Things You Might Not Know About American Psycho."  I actually didn't know most of these, including that Leo and Johnny Depp were both tapped (even if unofficially) to play Patrick Bateman.  I can't imagine anyone other than Christian Bale as Bateman, so I'm glad he ended up with the role, which is still my favorite performance of his.  He is nothing short of brilliant as Patrick Bateman.  His delivery, cadence, accent, facial expressions, and mannerisms are perfect.  As far as dark humor/satire goes, I can't think of a better film than American Psycho.  I quote it unconsciously at this point.

There are so many great lines and scenes in the movie, one of which is the scene where Bateman is videotaping his sexual escapades -- which I would call "sexcapades," by the way, but then again, I love word combinations -- with two prostitutes, Christy and Sabrina ("more of a dirty blonde").  The scene gives us the line "don't just stare at it; eat it!" and the image of Bateman flexing for himself in the mirror and pointing to the camera whilst engaged in lovemaking in the style of dogs.  Before that, he goes on one of his patented soliloquies, this time about Genesis and Phil Collins, ending with the line, "This is 'Sussudio,' a great, great song, a personal favorite."  Then he plays "Sussudio" during the aforementioned sexcapades.  If you're ever seen this scene, it is highly likely that you think of it whenever you hear "Sussudio."

"Sussudio" is one of four Billboard Top 10 songs off of Collins's third solo album, No Jacket Required, and one of two songs off the album to reach #1, which it did in July 1985.  I was 7 at the time, and this was my favorite song when it came out.  I remember being absolutely flabbergasted when I first heard Collins speak and he had a British accent.  I couldn't reconcile that British singers and American singers could pronounce words similarly while singing, but then speak with different accents.  As for the title, it is a gibberish word that Collins made up when he was trying to find a word that fit the rhythm of a drum track.  He couldn't find anything else that fit better, so he just kept "sussudio" as the lyric and song title.  The rest, they say, is history.  And flexing while banging.

No comments: