Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Retro Video of the Week: "Smuggler's Blues" by Glenn Frey

These short weeks mess with my internal schedule.  After having Monday off, I forgot to post a Tuesday Top Ten yesterday because it just felt like a Monday.  Then Taboo came on, and I turn to the wife and scream, "I thought Taboo was on Tuesdays."  "It is Tuesday, you rotten motherfucker," she replies under her breath, without looking up as she flips a page of Bon Appetit. "Son of a bitch!" I yell, upending the coffee table and the otherwise pristine 1000-piece jigsaw puzzle of Erika Eleniak that I had just completed. She sighs, "You know you're just going to have to pick that up.  Oooh, braised short ribs in a raspberry reduction!"

So Glenn Frey died a year ago today.  I'm not a big Eagles fan, but Frey did have some great '80s solo hits that were featured in movies or TV shows -- "The Heat Is On" (Beverly Hills Cop), "You Belong to the City" (Miami Vice), and "Smuggler's Blues" (Miami Vice).  It's harder than you might think to find videos for these songs on YouTube, but I was able to find a regular version of the video for "Smuggler's Blues" on Vimeo.  The song hit #12 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1985.  The video has everything that would be outlawed in today's music videos:  drugs, smoking, guns, violence.  Enjoy.

Smuggler's Blues from Michael Dewey on Vimeo.

No comments: