Thursday, August 09, 2018

New Book: My Cross to Bear by Gregg Allman with Alan Light



A couple weeks ago, I finished reading Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore, which was a lovely piece of satire.  The premise is that Heaven wants to fill in the gaps in the four gospels, which don't really tell much about the childhood, adolescence, and young adulthood of Jesus.  So, Jesus's childhood friend Biff is resurrected and put into an L.A. hotel room with an angel, and Biff narrates his stories about growing up with Jesus.  It was very good, and would probably been even funnier if I was more familiar with the Bible.  Basically, when they're 13, Jesus and Biff set off to find the Three Magi.  They find all three in different parts of the world, and study under each of them, learning valuable lessons that inform Jesus's teachings.  Spoiler alert:  he dies in the end.

Image result for gregg allman my cross to bearAfter taking a few weeks off and wasting my morning and afternoon commute playing on my phone, this morning I started reading Gregg Allman's autobiography, My Cross to Bear by Gregg Allman with Alan Light.  About five years ago, I went into Costco on a Saturday afternoon, as is the custom.  It was busier than usual, and there were a bunch of people in line for something.  I noticed a pallid, ghostly shell of a man sitting at a table.  "Holy shit, that's Gregg Allman," I blurted out to a man with fourteen pounds of mussels in his cart.  He was signing copies of My Cross to Bear, but I could not afford to wait in line for three hours, so I waited five years to buy the book -- my form of silent protest of the fact that the book wasn't called I'm No Angel.  I was fortunate enough to see him live at the House of Blues a couple years ago, and he was awesome.  The autobiography was highly recommended and ranked one of Rolling Stone's top 20 rock biographies.  The first five pages have been satisfactory.  

Books Read in 2018:
-How Music Works by David Byrne
-But What If We're Wrong?: Thinking About the Present As If It Were the Past by Chuck Klosterman
-Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore

No comments: