Thursday, December 20, 2018

It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Beer: The Last Two Beers

I had an event after work last night, so I didn't have time to indulge in the beer advent calendar.  I made up for my misgivings tonight.
Beer #19 is from another Chicago-area brewery, Bedford Park’s own 5 Rabbit. This is La Piña de Mis Ojos, which translates to the pineapple of my eyes. When I pulled it out of the box, I was not thrilled because it describes itself as a “Sour Ale Brewed with Pineapple.”  Though I love pineapple, I am generally not a fan of sours. However, I was pleasantly surprised. This is not too sour, and also not too pineapple-y. It’s actually pretty refreshing, although definitely more of a summer beer than a winter beer.

Name:  La Piña de Mis Ojos
Brewery:  5 Rabbit Cervecería
Location:  Bedford Park, IL
ABV:  7.0%
IBU:  18
Good for drinking if:  It's a nice sunny day and you're sitting on boat in Lake Michigan, wondering whose fucking boat is this?!
Rating (out of five stars, by quarter star increments): 3.75

Beer #20 is more like it: Founders Porter.  This is a great beer.  As you know, I love stouts and porters.  Founders is one of the many phenomenal breweries in Southwestern Michigan.  I've been to a couple, but I really need to do a long weekend full of brewery tours.  I'll need a driver.  But anyway, Founders does dark and heavy beers really well.  Their Breakfast Stout is a classic.  Dirty Bastard not only has a great name, but it's a great Scotch ale.  Their oatmeal stout is great, and the Curmudgeon Old Ale is heavy and strong.  The Porter is a classic robust porter.  It's malty and chocolatey with a little bit of bitterness.

Name:  Porter
Brewery:  Founders Brewing Co.
Location:  Grand Rapids, IL
ABV:  6.5%
IBU:  45
Good for drinking if:  You could use a nice malty beer while watching the Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl and wondering how we got to a point where there's a bowl called the Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl.


Rating (out of five stars, by quarter star increments): 4.25

No comments: