Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Retro Video of the Week: "Nicotine & Gravy" by Beck

Assuming the world survives, this Saturday will be the 20th anniversary of Beck's release of his seventh studio album, Midnite Vultures.  It was the follow-up to his iconic Odelay album, which is kind of an unfair hamstring for Midnite Vultures because it will always be compared to Odelay.  Nonetheless, Midnite Vultures is fantastic in its own right, and it's probably my second-favorite Beck album (behind Odelay, of course).  Beck was proving he was Gen X's version of David Bowie -- a rock and roll chameleon who could put out great music while not sticking to one genre or sound.  Midnite Vultures has elements of funk, soul, R&B, rock, pop, and electronic music -- all with Beck's brand of irreverent hipster humor.

While my favorite chorus on the album is from "Debra" -- "oooh, I wanna get with you, aaawwww / And you sister / I think her name is Debra" -- my favorite track off the album is "Nicotine & Gravy," which has my second-favorite chorus on the album:  "I think we're going crazy / Her left eye is lazy / She looks so Israeli / Nicotine and gravy."  It's a funky little ditty that lyrically makes little to no sense to me (like many of his songs), and the video does nothing to clear that up.  But with Thanksgiving coming up next week, I know that can be stressful for some, so perhaps there isn't a more appropriate song than "Nicotine & Gravy" to describe what you're going to need to make things all right. 

No comments: