Tuesday, November 05, 2019

Tuesday Top Ten: Halloween Costumes (2019 Edition)

Last Thursday was the final Halloween of the teens.  As usual, I had a party the Saturday before, and this year, we decided to go with a '90s theme, which brought out some great costumes.

And, of course, on Halloween proper, I went with a creepy costume, thanks to a delightfully terrifying mask my kids picked out for me on a trip to Party City.  It kind of made up for the fact that we got three inches of snow on Halloween.

But enough about me.  Here are my ten favorite costumes from this year's Halloween, whether I saw them in person, on Facebook, or elsewhere on the interwebs.  These are in no particular order.

1.  Whatever the hell this is
Heidi Klum outdid herself this year, transforming herself from her normally gorgeous self into this alien-looking thing that apparently took her 13 hours to transform into.  Bravo.

2.  Me
One of my friends dressed up as me.  This is apparently what I look like to the outside world.

3.  Link
Lollipop decided to go as one of the most beloved Nintendo icons of the '80s and '90s.


4.  Maude Lebowski
Many years ago when my wife was seven months pregnant with our first child, she was supposed to go to Lebowski Fest with me.  I begged her to dress up as a pregnant Maude Lebowski.  She declined.  She tried to make it up to me ten years later.  Her art has been commended as strongly vaginal.

5.  Mia Wallace and Vincent Vega
Vincent's bolo was good enough, but Mia's adrenaline shot in the chest was the kind of detail I truly respect.

6.  Kurt Cobain
Not as bloody as I would have liked, but he even had the same t-shirt Cobain wore during the Unplugged show.  Well done.  And notice Happy Gilmore lounging on the couch.

7.  Brian Fantana and Sex Panther
Sixty percent of the time, it works every time.

8.  Lloyd, Harry, and Sea Bass
Son and his best friend went as Lloyd and Harry from Dumb and Dumber, which is more fitting than you know.  It took a lot of convincing, but once we told them they would get "swords" (i.e., canes) and unlimited bowls of loudmouth soup, they came around.  
Playing off of their costumes, I went as Sea Bass.  It's the only time you'll ever hear me ask for a Boilermaker.  And needless to say, things got awkward at 2:15 a.m. sharp in the bathroom.

 9.  Roach and Bodhi from Point Break
 It got weird when we went surfing at the end of the night.

10.  Baumer and Margot Tenenbaum
I saw this one on Facebook, from a woman I went to college with and her husband.  I'm a sucker for any Royal Tenenbaums-based costume.  No word if she chopped off a finger or if he shaved his head 80% of the way through the night and slit his wrists to make it authentic.

No comments: