Tuesday, October 12, 2021

Rocktober '90s Song #7: "In The Meantime" by Spacehog (1996)

One of my favorite '90s rock one-hit wonders is Spacehog's 1996 song "In The Meantime."  Spacehog was formed in New York, but the band members were mainly from Leeds in the UK.  They played glam-influenced alternative rock, and "In The Meantime" is just a wonderfully catchy and fun alt rock song, even though I have no idea what lead singer Royston Langdon is saying half the time.  "I'm the only on you?"  "I'm the only onion?"  "I'm the oily on you?"  "I'm the only young youth?"  "I'm the hole beyond the moon?"  "I'm the lonely hung Jew?"  Frankly, I don't really care, and I don't have any desire to find out what the actual lyric is because, for me, it's better just gleefully singing gibberish whenever I hear the song.

The song was the band's only charting song on the Billboard Hot 100, where it went to #32.  It also topped the Billboard Mainstream Rock Tracks chart, went to #2 on the Billboard Modern Rock Tracks chart, and the Top 40 on the pop charts in Australia, Canada, Iceland, Scotland, Sweden, and the UK.

Langdon parlayed his success into a relationship with Liv Tyler.  They began dating in 1998, married in 2003, had a son in 2004, and then separated in 2008.

No comments: